1. I have lost
2. I have been
3. have you lost
4. I have lost
5. have you been
6. I have gone
7. it has helped
8. I meet / I have met
9. they give / they have given
10. I have seen
11. I have tried
Ex.2 Suggested answers.
1. How long have you lived / been living in your apartment?
I have been living here since December. I have been living here for several months.
2. How long have you been in Canada?
I have been in Canada since the start of the war. I have been in Canada for six years.
3. How long have you been studying English?
I have been studying English since 1984. I have been studying English for over eighteen years.
4. How long have we known each other?
We have known each other since the day your Mother got married to my Father! We have known each other for almost three weeks. We're like brothers now.
5. How long have you had your English dictionary?
I have had my dictionary since April 1st. I have had my dictionary for six months.
Ex.3 Suggested corrections.
1. I have been a college student since 1984. I have been a college student for eighteen years.
2. Dr. Do little is my teacher. He has been my teacher since Dr. Burnouts retired. He has been my teacher for six years.
3. I have wanted to learn English since the third grade. I have wanted to learn English for forty years.
4. I want to learn more about the Jivaro Indians. I have wanted to learn more about them since one of their chiefs visited my school. I have wanted to learn more about them for many years.
5. I have known the teacher since the days when he was a student here. I have known him for over twenty-five years.
Ex.4 Suggested answers.
1. Do you have a driver's license?
Yes, I do.
How long have you had it?
I have had it for three months.
I have had it since my Father died and left me his car.
2. Do you have a car?
Yes, as I just said, I do!
How long have you had it?
As I just said, I have had it since my Father died and left it to me! I have had it for three months!
3. Do you have a social insurance card?
No, I don't. I only have a visitor's visa. I don't have immigration status yet. I still don't have my papers.
4. Do you have a computer?
No, I don't I haven't gotten one yet. I still haven't bought one.
5. Are you married?
Yes, but my wife hasn't come here yet to join me. She still hasn't bought a ticket.
6. Do you want to learn English?
Yes, I do. I have wanted to learn it for years.
7. Are you interested in Canadian life?
Well, yes and no. It seems a lot like life at home. I haven't noticed anything different yet. I still haven't noticed anything.
Ex.5 Suggested answers.
1. I have had back trouble since my bungee-jumping accident. I have had back pains since 1999.
2. I have been seven feet tall since my bungee-jumping accident! I have been unusually tall for three years.
3. I have always wanted to try bungee-jumping with a more elastic cable.
4. I haven't known my wife for very long. I have only known her for three and a half weeks. I have known her since she got off the plane this summer.
Ex.6 Suggested corrections.
1. I have always enjoyed traditional Jivaro food.
2. I have always liked Eddy Rickenbacker.
3. I have always wanted to meet Eddy Rickenbacker, or perhaps a Jivaro Indian.
4. I've always wanted to have my own autographed portrait of Eddy Rickenbacker, or of a Jivaro Indian chief.
5. I've always needed to take off at least once a month for a week-end in the woods.
6. I have always been interested in Egyptian mummies.
7. I've always thought about going to Egypt to dig around in the sand.
Ex.7 Suggested corrections.
1. I've never seen "Dr. Strangelove" by Stanley Kubrick.
2. I've never liked raw tofu.
3. I've never studied archaeology.
4. I've never visited Kookaburraville.
5. I have never played lacrosse.
Ex.8 Suggested corrections.
1. I've always been a slow-thinking sort of fellow.
I've always taken longer than other people to place my order at the restaurant.
2. I've always been a loud talker.
I've always spoken in a louder voice than anyone else.
3. I've always been a spoiled Mamma's boy.
I've always done exactly as I please.
4. I've always been the life of the party.
I've always told lots of dirty jokes and recited lots of funny limericks.
Ex.9 Suggested corrections.
1. I've never studied anthropology, but I would love to.
2. I've never been very quick on my feet, but I would love to be a dancer or a circus performer.
3. I've never been a movie actor, but I would love to appear with Sharon Stoned or Eddy Rickenbacker.
4. I've never been a self-defence instructor, but I would love to teach little kids to protect themselves from the bigger ones.
Ex.10 Suggested corrections.
1. I have been living in my car since I arrived here. There are no apartment vacancies!
2. I have been working in a downtown ice-cream parlour for six weeks.
3. I have been attending Laval University since I moved to Santa Fe.
4. The teacher has been explaining the present perfect for over an hour and his face is turning grey and blue. He probably needs to go to the bathroom.
5. The students have been practising the present perfect continuous for over an hour, and they look tired and bored. They probably need to go to the bathroom too.
Ex.11 Suggested answers.
1. Do you drive?
Yes, I have a shiny red Corvette.
Interesting. How long have you driven this Corvette?
I've been driving it for about a month, since I sold my 1984 Burgundy Cherokee.
2. Do you work?
Sure I do, if you call what I do "work".
Well, alright, how long have you been "working"?
I have been working since my Mother moved to Cuba with her former boss.
3. Do you smoke?
For Heaven's sake, no. Of course not.
4. Do you wear glasses?
Yes, I do. How could you tell (="How did you know")?
Never mind, just tell me how long you have worn glasses.
I have worn glass for several months, since I started writing my thesis.
5. Do you play a musical instrument?
Yes, I do. I play the electronic enharmonic kazoo (the kind with aluminium foil).
Really! And how long have you played this unusual instrument?
I have played the kazoo for seventeen years. I have played it since I dropped out of the Conservatory.
Ex.12 Suggested answers.
1. I have been studying English for so long that I can't remember when I started.
2. I have been working in this barber shop since my Uncle first hired me to sweep the floor.
3. I have been living in this city for years.
4. I been interested in pre-Columbian history since my visit to Panama.
Ex.13 Suggested answers.
1. How long have you been teaching English?
I have been teaching for several decades!
2. How long have you been working at this college?
I have been working here since last summer.
3. How long have you lived in this city?
I have been living in this city for many years.
4. How long have you been using this book?
I have been using this book since last week.
5. How long have you been washing your clothes with baking soda?
I have been washing my clothes with baking soda since I was a young student.
Ex.14 Suggested answers.
1. Have we had any tests so far?
Yes, up to now we have had three tests worth 30% each.
2. Has this lesson been difficult?
No, it hasn't been difficult so far.
3. Has the teacher given you a lot of homework?
No he hasn't given us much to do so far.
4. Have you understood all of the explanations?
Yes, I have understood everything so far.
5. Do you have any questions about this lesson?
No, thank-you. So far, I haven't had any problem.
Ex.15 Suggested answers.
1. How many letters to your poor old Mother have you written?
I haven't written any letters to her in a long time.
2. How many times have you eaten in a restaurant this year?
I have eaten in so many restaurants that I couldn't tell you how many.
3. How many times have you gotten paid for recycling your newsprint?
I have actually never been paid for recycling my newsprint, nor anything else.
4. How many times have you made long-distance calls from my room?
I've never made any long-distance calls from your room!
5. How many books have you bought with your Father's credit card?!
I've bought books with his card twice.
Ex.16 Suggested answers.
1. How many silly limericks have you learned in class?
We haven't learned any limericks yet. We're still waiting for the teacher to tell us some.
2. How much time have you spent on your astrophysics homework this week?
I have spent about seven hours on my astrophysics homework this week. That's about half the time I have spent on my English.
3. How many times have you applied for your visa?
I have been applying every week for a year. I have applied over fifty times.
4. How much wood have you chopped up for the winter?
I haven't chopped any wood yet. I have these correction keys to type up, and then I have to find some fresh tofu for supper.
2. haven't / never have
3. Have you ever lived
5. Has your picture ever been in the newspaper?
7. I have never heard
8. Have your children ever attended
9. Have you ever worked
Ex.18 Suggested answers.
1. Have you ever worked in a factory?
Yes, I worked in a factory last year.
No I never have.
2. Have you ever lost a glove?
No, I never have.
Yes, I have, many times.
3. Have you ever run out of gas?
Yes, I ran out of gas on my honeymoon.
No, that has never happened to me.
4. Have you ever fallen out of bed?
No, I haven't, but my little sister has several times.
5. Have you ever made a mistake in English grammar?
No, I haven't because I am Humpty Dumpty, and I make up the grammar rules myself. Alice, however, has made several mistakes recently.
6. Have you ever told a lie?
Yes, I have. In fact, I have lied every time I have ever said anything. Interesting, isn't it!
7. Have you ever eaten raw fish?
No, I never have, but the rest of my family has been eating raw fish (and other such things) for years.
8. Have you ever studied calculus?
Yes, I have, and my poor sister has been studying it for seven years.
Ex.19 Suggested answers.
1. Have you ever met a famous person?
Yes, indeed I have.
Really? And who was that?
I met Eddy Rickenbacker's favourite nephew.
2. Have you ever gone to an art museum?
Yes, I have.
When was that, and where have you been?
I have been to the Metropolitan Museum twice in 1967, and to the Boston Museum of Phone Arts once, in 1984.
3. Have you ever stayed up all night?
Yes, of course I have, many times.
Why did you do that? When did that happen?
I stayed up all night when my triplets were born.
4. Have you ever broken a window?
Yes, I have.
Why on earth did you do that?
I broke the window on my front door because I was locked out.
5. Have you ever gotten locked out of your house?
Yes, I have, as I just told you. My Mother thought that I was a robber or a boogy-man, and she wouldn't let me in.
6. Have you ever seen an Italian movie?
I think I have, but I don't speak any Italian, so I'm not sure the movie I saw was really Italian.
7. Have you ever gone to a casino?
No, I never have, but I know people who live, eat and sleep in casinos.
8. Have you ever travelled by ship?
No, I never have, but my grand-parents travelled to Brazil by ship in 1968.
9. Have you ever been in love??
You're kidding, right?
10. Have you ever written a poem?
No, but I wrote a dirty limerick for my crazy sister once.
11. Have you ever eaten Tibetan momos?
I couldn't say I have. What in the heck is a momo?
12. Have you ever used that special tape ("Dioré") you can buy at the pharmacy to remove the black-heads from your nose?
No, I have never tried that stuff, but my sister used it every week last year, and now she doesn't need a nose-job anymore.
Ex.20 Suggested answers.
1. Have you ever written a fan-letter to Eddy Rickenbacker?
Yes, I have, at least four times. In fact, I have been writing to him constantly this week.
2. Have you ever used a nylon stocking to replace a fan-belt?
Yes, I have. Last summer, I was on the highway and my fan-belt broke. I used one of my crazy sister's nylon stockings, and made a temporary fan-belt.
3. Have you ever had a tooth pulled without anaesthetic?
No, I never have, but last summer I got a splinter in my finger, and they pulled it out without even giving me an aspirin.
Ex.21 Suggested answers.
1. Has your country ever had a civil war?
Yes, Costa Frica has had three civil wars so far. It had a civil war last summer.
2. Has your country's leader ever visited Canada?
No, none of our leaders has ever made it to Canada.
3. Has a Canadian prime minister ever visited your country?
No, I don't think so. I don't think anyone in your government ever has.
4. Has your country ever had a woman leader?
Of course it has. Women are the only real leaders in our country anyway.
5. Have you ever gone back to visit your country?
You're kidding, right?
6. Has there ever been an earthquake in your hometown?
Oh, yes, there certainly has. There was another one last summer.
1. I have just eaten
2. has not had
3. I already told you / I have already told you
4. I have just made
5. I have not made myself clear
Ex.23 Suggested answers.
1. Have you found a job yet?
No, I haven't.
2. Have you made any Canadian friends?
Yes, I have. I made a new friend yesterday.
3. Have you opened a bank account?
No, I haven't. I'm not officially an immigrant yet
4. Have you saved any money?
No, but I have spent quite a bit.
5. Have you bought a car?
You're kidding, right?!
6. Have you written to your family?
Yes, I have. I wrote to them yesterday.