The Man On The Beach: Complete the sentences. Lots of modals and conditionals here.
1. The man looks like...
2. The man looks as though...
3. His body is all folded up, as if he...
4. When we found him, his body was all folded up, as though he...
5. He seems to be having difficulty...
6. I suppose he (MODAL + "LOSE HIS WATCH ON THE BEACH") __________
7. I donít think he can get up. Maybe he (MODAL + "WAIT FOR HELP") __________
8. He may be ("FEEL COLD AND LONELY")__________
9. Look at how his nose is in the sand! He (MODAL + NOT + CAN + BREATHE) __________
10. Last night, when he went for a walk on the beach, he (MODAL + "GET LOST") _______________ , or perhaps he just got too tired to continue.
11. I conclude that when he went for a walk last night on the beach, he (MODAL + "GET LOST AND GET TIRED OF WALKING") __________
12. This probably happened just after supper yesterday. He (MODAL, "NOT", "WATCH WHERE HE IS GOING") __________
13. Tomorrow, when his mother comes looking for him, she (MODAL, "USE A SHOVEL TO GET HIM OUT") __________
14. Last night, she didnít notice that he hadnít come home. She (MODAL + "PAY MORE ATTENTION LAST NIGHT") __________
15. Really! She didnít even notice. She (MODAL + "PLAY WITH HER SHRUNKEN HEAD COLLECTION") __________
16. And what about right now? She (MODAL + "WORRY ABOUT HIM")__________
17. Yes, indeed, now sheís terribly worried. Iím sure that right now she (MODAL + "THINK") ____________________ that she (MODAL + "CALL THE POLICE LAST NIGHT") __________
she must be thinking that she should have called the police last night
Conditionals exercise: suggested answers
The patient has very delicate skin, which is why this accident happened
= If the patient didn't have such delicate skin, this accident wouldn't have happened
The masseur probably pushed too hard because he lacks experience with elderly patients
=If the masseur didn't lack experience, he might not have pushed so hard
The masseur should use more oil from now on to prevent such accidents
=If the masseur would use more oil from now on, it would prevent such accidents
FOR THIS ONE, PLEASE NOTE: THERE IS A "WOULD" IN THE CONDITION CLAUSE. THIS ONLY SEEMS UNUSUAL. IN FACT, THIS USE OF "WOULD" MEANS "IF THE MASSEUR ACCEPTED..." OTHERWISE, NO "WOULD" IS ALLOWED IN THE CONDITION CLAUSE.
It is usually enough to prevent such accidents for the masseur to use more oil
=Such accidents can usually be prevented if the masseur uses more oil
This accident probably happened because the patient did not ask the masseur to be careful
=If this accident has happened, the patient must not have asked the masseur to be careful (IN OTHER WORDS, "THE FACT THAT THIS HAPPENED MUST MEAN THAT...")